Monday, September 8, 2008

Some Book Reports

Philemon (A book report from the Bible)

I thought that I would write some book reports on books of the Bible. The book of Philemon, I feel, relates very well to the first book report I gave “Twice Freed” which was about the slave mentioned in the book of Philemon, Onesimus.

Philemon is an all but forgotten book of the Bible. Nestled between Titus and Hebrews it is one of Paul's prison letters. He wrote it to a specific family and the church that worshiped in their home. It gives encouragement to the church and an endorsement



Good News About Injustice by Gary A. Haugen

Why does God allow that? How can the wicked get away with what they do? If those are questions you have ever asked yourself then this is the right book for you. I ask myself those questions frequently (far more frequently than I ought) the answer is: God has done something! He has put you and I and all Christians here on this earth to do His will. His will is justice. We are to be the salt of the earth and to defend the fatherless and provide for the widow. It is our job, and by the look of thing we have dropped the ball. We need to be in the world fighting for the rights of those who cannot fight for themselves. This book tells about Gary Haugen's experiences as he works with International Justice Mission: http://www.ijm.org/



Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot

Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorite authors so it s a special treat for me every time I get to read about her own life. Passion and Purity was a review for me but each time I read it I'm in a different position in life and it brings refreshment for how I observe the world around me especially when it comes to the opposite sex. Elisabeth Elliot has a passion for honoring the Lord and an honesty that I admire and respect. This particular book is about the courtship that she had with Jim Elliot and how the Lord led both of them during this time in their lives that required them to wholly rely on the Lord.

No comments:

My Blog List