Monday, September 15, 2008

Leadership Part 1

This summer I learned a lot about leading. Actually I learned a lot more than I would have liked to. The most important thing that I learned is that if the leader has a good relationship with the Lord not every thing will automatically go well, but if the leader has a bad relationship with the Lord then things will automatically go wrong.

Wow, I've never had a time where I had to distance myself from what I was feeling quite like I did this summer. There were so many times when I just had to give something to the Lord because there was nothing I could do. There were also times, more than I would like to admit, that I took matters into my own hands and fretted over situations until I became weepy and despondent. Nothing like having a depressed director.

The Lord did wonders in my life to show me my sin of pride when it came to leading. There were times when I needed to be firm about what was right even when I so wanted to join in on what wasn't so right. My flesh longed to be a part of what every one else was doing, but if I had participated then things would have become very unruly. God also showed me that a leader must admit when they are wrong. I had to do this multiple times this summer and there are probably things that I should have admitted that I didn't even think of or know about.

Even when I was responding rightly to the Lord the day wasn't guaranteed to go well. I could have a great time with the Lord and be well prepared, but Satan could stick his little face in the way of every thing we were doing and ruin the day. Many times I prayed for the protection of those I was leading from the devils whiles. God did answer my prayer in this and helped the other leaders and I believe the children to grow more in godliness.

The biggest lesson I learned is that it is neither easy nor fun to be the one in charge. Being the top dog may sound like fun for a little while, but then see how you like it once something goes wrong and you are the one responsible for making sure that it gets fixed. What about when people aren't getting along and you are responsible for getting to the bottom of the matter. What about when someone gets hurt and you are the lucky one who gets to explain to parents. There really are more miserable jobs than fun jobs when it comes to leading. It isn't something you chose for fun but that you chose because you must. God did not give me peace last winter until I agreed to lead camps for this summer. I think it is a good thing God doesn't really give us a choice in these things of what our preference would be, because I know I would always take the easy way and if I always take the easy way then I know that I will never grow.

Another thing that I learned was to appreciate the leaders in my life more. Working with several pastors this summer showed me the agony that they constantly go through with every thing I had to deal with and so much more. They learn to do it with grace and diligence. Each pastor I got to know worked very hard and cared about people very very much. I was so glad that I got to see them in action and learn from their example. I truly admire spiritual leaders.

No comments:

My Blog List