Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Leadership Part 2

As I looked through the Bible for places where the word “lead” was mentioned I found a variety of things. I think that each of the different references has a very different meaning, some are comforting, some are commands, some are facts fro history. I wanted to share some of the ones that were special to me with you.


Hebrews 13:17 “obey your leaders, and submit to them; for they keep watch over your souls”

This was a very sobering for me both as someone under the authority who needs to obey, but even more as someone who has a certain amount of authority and who is to keep watch over the souls of those who I'm in leadership over. This is especially sobering when I think about the fact that it is my hearts desire to be a mother some day. I will be in part for watching out for the souls of my children as I lead them. Scary.

Psalms 23:2 “He leads me beside quiet waters”

Oh, was a great promise. This must be one of the most comforting passages found in scripture. The Lord leads us beside still waters. These aren't just any waters. These are not fast moving waters...sheep are afraid of fast moving waters. No, this is waters where the Shepherd can bring His sheep and they have no fear. I imagine deep quiet pools of fresh water. Perhaps there is the stream of God's word pouring into our hearts as God brings us to the still and quiet waters of a heart at peace with Him.

Isaiah 53:7 “...Like a lamb that is led to slaughter...”

Mark 15:20 “...[they] led Him out to crucify Him”

Jesus allowed Himself to be led to the worst place of all. He was led not only to the pain of crusifiction but also to separation from the Father God. The first and last time in all of history when the Trinity was separated. It may be that some day we face persecution and will be led to slaughter for what we believe but fortunately we will never be led in this way away from the Fathers love. The only thing that can lead us away is our own selfishness and empty conceit.

Romans 15:20 “For all who are being led by the spirit of God, these are sons of God”

Oh, I long so much to be led by the spirit of God, but too often I find myself being led by other things. That old man keeps popping in his ugly face and I have to chose to slay him daily. God empowers me to do this but I still much chose to use that empowerment and resist the urge to be led by things other than God.

Leadership is a passion of mine. I do want to obey those who God has placed in authority but I find this a less daunting task than leading. I want to be able to follow the Lord so that I can lead those he puts over me. I hope and pray that He will give me children some day that I will be responsible for leading to Himself and I hope to be well prepared as a leader and teacher for them.

This concludes this series. I figured I should keep it short and sweet this time since last time was so long and stretched out. I hope to keep with this trend and have shorter more compact series. One of my desires in this blog is to challenge your thinking and to bring you to the word of God.

No comments:

My Blog List