Monday, April 2, 2007

Effective and Productive

I was reading my Bible at Starbucks earlier this week and came across these verses.

1 Peter 1:5-8
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7 and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Lately I have been feeling really ineffective and unproductive. These verses were such a huge encouragement to me to read about the character qualities required for being effective and productive. I'm so glad that these verses do not say something like- and add to your high school diploma a Bachelors Degree, and to your Bachelors Degree, a Masters Degree, and to your Masters Degree a successful career and to your successful career, a perfect family and to your perfect family a perfect retirement etc. No. God, through Peter, has given us the character qualities we need to work on to be effective and productive for Christ's Kingdom!

9 comments:

Katie said...

Wow! I really, really liked this one, Janel! I appreciate the "what God did say" vs. "what He didn't--but we sometimes think He did" comparisan!

Balvanz said...

Oh, that was so encouraging! Thanks, Janel!! :)

Isaacme said...

I thought you were staying away from Starbucks. Or at least sugar. So what were you doing missy prissy?

sgreenjeans said...

I too was really blessed by this, thank you so much. I've been feeling just that very way and now I feel a little better about my mental troubles. I've had to tell several people this week that I thought I knew what I was "adding to my ... degree", but now I don't know. Thanks again, you've really encouraged me.

Janel said...

Well Trevor, I got a decaf sugar free almond latte. :)

I'm glad that it was encouraging to you Sara. I have been in a similar situation to you for much of my time in college. I have just started saying “Lord willing” before almost any sentence that I say of information about my potential future. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great insight! Thanks!

Janel said...

May I ask who "aged p" is? If not, that is okay. I'm just not sure who you are.

Katie said...

mia mere! =)

Anonymous said...

You need to watch the spelling there, Katie... I don't know if that's how that is spelled (spelt?) :)

My Blog List