Tuesday, February 27, 2007

That Which Does Not Change

God's Word

I paused last eve beside the blacksmith's door
And heard the anvil ring, the vesper's chime
And looking in I saw upon the floor
Old hammers, worn with beating years of time
“How many anvils have you had” said I
“To wear and batter all these hammers so?”
“Just one,” he answered, then with twinkling eye;
“The anvil wears the hammers out you know”
And so, I thought, the anvil of God's Word
For ages skeptics blows have beat upon,
But though the noise of falling blows was heard
The anvil is unchanged;the hammers gone
John Clifford 1836-1923

God's Unchanging Word

For feelings come and feelings go,
And feelings are deceiving
My warrant is the word of God
Naught else is worth believing
Though all my hear should feel condemned
For want of some sweet token
There is One greater than my heart
Whose word cannot be broken
I'll trust in God's unchanging word
Till soul and body ever;
For, though all things shall pass away,
His Word shall stand forever.

Martin Luther 1483-1546

2 comments:

Balvanz said...

Wow...those are great. Especially Martin Luther's!

Janel said...

yeah, I like that one too. Luther is a really great person to quote.

My Blog List