Saturday, February 10, 2007

Lambs

Lambs
Lambs come in the spring
First the snow and then the grass
For all the lambs to eat
Lambs come quietly, not with band or brass

There may be one or two
Or maybe even three
They may be born in a barn
Or under a spreading tree

The mother's attention
Is for her young
She hardly even eats
Because she wants to spare them wrong

Lambs can be recognized
by their funny little tails
That wag faster than a dog's
Fast, like a train on rails

The summer months wear on
The lambs love to lay down and sleep
Their wool grows and grows
The lambs turn into sheep

When lambs begin to walk
Their legs are in the way
However not long after this
They begin to skip and play

by Janel Gustafson

9 comments:

Janel said...

I wrote this for my childrens litterature class. It may get revised but I thought I would post it any way. It was inspired by the fact that we plan on having lambs at our house in about a month. Our sheep are getting much bigger!

Unknown said...

I could never write decent poetry. Oh, I could get the rhyming and maybe the rhythm, but beyond that my creativity for writing is kind've lacking. For instance, I could never come up with the connection between a rapidly wagging tail and a fast-moving train. Oh well.

Hmmm, been a while since I have seen any farm animals.

Anonymous said...

Quite the poem...

Janel said...

Thank you sir.

Janel said...

Oh Jeremy, that is the type of connection you make when you are really desperate.

Balvanz said...

That was lovely, dear! And very nice picture too. :)

Janel said...

Thank you, my brother took that picture.

Amanda said...

I love the poem it just says the truth.

Corina said...

That was very cute! I had forgotten that you breed lambs. Very sweet.

My Blog List