Friday, February 9, 2007

Math, Geology, and Paperwork

For the first time in my life I find myself delighting in doing math. In fact I have been doing it as a break from other things when they become too frustrating or exhausting. You see, math used to be one of the most difficult and trying things that I had to do. The numbers seemed to race wildly through my head and then back out again without allowing me a moments time to catch them and pin them down. Now, in addition to mathematics I am currently taking a geology class. Although not difficult it proves very frustrating and, dare I say that forbidden word, BORING. As I write these words I am avoiding labeling ages and event principles to layers of rock. Now, it might be one thing if I actually got to see real rocks, or even pictures of real rocks, but such a thing is not my fate. I am sent to the plight of intently studying sketches of rocks. I find it oddly similar to studying paperwork filled with blanks for me to fill in about every thing about me that university authorities could never actually want to know. Now due to the hospitality (not parted by many words in the English dictionary from “hostility”) of my local university, school planning has become more trying even than math. Planning out tests and paperwork has proved to lead to more dead ends and frustrating ties than even math could and is similar to staring at sketches of rocks. At least with the paper work I get to call the shots and not depend on the view of one enchanted by rocks to know when God chose to put a certain rock in a certain place.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you came around to math and I sincerely hope that geology is better to you in the future.

Janel said...

Thank you my dear. You are very sweet.

Unknown said...

For the most part, I found my math classes to be the most enjoyable classes I had. There were some other classes that were more fun, but for some odd reason I enjoyed math tremendously.

Janel said...

Yes, but that is coming from someone who is good at math.

Anonymous said...

I suspect... that it is all a matter of perspective. Math was easier for me than it was for Katie, but it was never "fun" or "enjoyable," - after all, it was 'school!'

Janel said...

This is true but there are some parts of school that can be fun. Some people even call music practice school!:)

Paul DeJarnette said...

I know I did, when it involved music I didn't want to learn...

Janel said...

I did sometimes too, but not normally.

How come you used to be "paul d" and now you are just "paul"?

Paul said...

I am... logged in to my blog!

My Blog List