Monday, January 12, 2009

More from Amy Carmichael

Here is another passage from a book of quotes and devotionals that were compiled from letters written by that smart, brave, wise woman –Amy Carmichael


Jeremiah 18:4,6 “The vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another verse, as seemed good to the potter to make it. Cannot I do with you as this potter saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in Mine hand.”

When a piece of steel has been subject to such stress that it has lost its power to recover its elasticity, it is said to be distorted. But it can be made right again. It is put in the furnace, and so it recovers what it has lost.

Perhaps we have given way under the great stress of temptation and become 'distorted'. Perhaps we have lost home of ever recovering. 'I am like this now; I shall always be like this'.

Are we willing to put into any furnace of God's choosing if only we may be made fit for His use? We cannot chose our furnace. Sometimes it is the furnace of affliction of Isaiah 48:10 “Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.”

But always there is hope. Cannot I do with you as this potter? Asks the Lord. We are in His hand, and no one can snatch us from His grasp. Our dear Lord says, My Father, which gave them Me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of My Father's hand John 10:29

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We cannot choose our furnace."

I liked that line...

Historian Anne said...

hum, very true. I've learned a lot about affliction as a furnace but have so much more to learn. It is comfort to know He preserves us!

My Blog List