Sunday, January 4, 2009

Coffee Buddies

One shot of espresso, half flavor vanilla half caramel with extra foam. That is his favorite. I don't even have to ask. Being a barista is one of my favorite early morning activities. I don't even have to ask how some people want their coffee. I've made it so many times. The really great thing is that he wants it almost the opposite of how I like it so I get to gather all of the supplies available at work and start making coffee for as many people as possible. I enjoy making coffee for myself and co-workers because I can make it just the way they like it plus I get to run the steam wand. Ah the simple delights in life. I keep it a secret that I enjoy this task so much. I just let them think that I'm an amazing, sweet, kind person. Reality is I just like making espresso drinks.

One of the best things about coffee though is not making it. Even better than getting to make espresso drinks is going with friends to Starbucks, Black Drop, Woods, or even Cruse'n Coffee (okay that last one could be a post all in itself) The early morning 6 AM shift heads out together. We are the three Js (Jon, Justin, and Janel) it was an event that could put a smile on my face no matter how bad my day was going. No matter how rude a customer had been these coffee buddies combined with the aroma of a fresh brewed cup of coffee could lift my spirits. As we walk down the street the antics of the other sleep deprived (or just caffeine deprived) people are making me wonder if I should pretend I don't know them or just smile sheepishly at the other people gathered for their cup'o joe.

Well the three Js were split up. Janel left for the summer and by the time she got back Jon was headed for Italy to be a very cool fashion designer/ musician/ evangelist dude. Then Janel left again to start school. She was back for awhile but Justin moved on to actually get a career type job (way to go!) so the coffee buddies changed. Next Bethany started working the “coffee trip is necessary” shift and then Debbie soon followed. Ah happy day! The coffee trips continue. Janel and her friends can now talk about the dresses in the bridal shop (more than Justin's quote “I like the white one”) Also Janel doesn't wonder about hiding as she walks down the street. Although these girls are funny their humor is of a quieter sort. Ah good friends, good talks, good coffee.

Although I no longer work with these people I intend to still drop by for S'bux runs with my dear coworkers. Although she doesn't like coffee we can normally get Elizabeth to come and Bethany and Debbie are still faithfully caffeine deprived and could almost always agree with enough prodding to make a visit to one of our favorite shops in town. The little things in life are truly beautiful.

5 comments:

Isaacme said...

Your going to miss Logos aren't you?

Kelsey said...

That sounds like so much fun! It's sad that the group has split up, but I'm sure you will always have tons of fun memories. so you aren't working there anymore?

Janel said...

no I don't work there anymore. And yes I'm going to miss it a LOT!

Historian Anne said...

well written! Love coffee stops. Coffee coffee coffee!
Yes I see Bethany and Christine doing some runs still, not that Bethany needs it! :) Shes so funny!

Katie said...

Okay so obviously I haven't been updated. ha I would love to hear from you and get caught up. Drop me a couple lines when you can :)
grobanoid@comcast.net

My Blog List