Sunday, October 5, 2008

Another Rough Draft

Thoughts on Apocalypse Now

Edward O. Wilson Essay in his essay Apocalypse Now makes the remarkable proposal that science and religion should work together for the good of humanity. His essay is written in the form of a letter of request to a Southern Baptist pastor. Having grown up in a church I understand the line of thought of his audience. I understand, as one guilty of such, that the church can appear cold or even hostile to opposing view points. Scientists, also, can be closed to any view points that do not fit with the way they interpret evidence. Despite the frequent close mindedness of both parties Wilson makes is request for cooperation. This seems to be more than valid and right as Christians consider it their duty to better humanity as do environmental scientists. The question isn't so much should religion and science work together and it isn't why they haven't in the past, the past doesn't really matter or hold a valid affect on what can be. The question is how can science and religion work together when they have been riveted for centuries. Wilson doesn't answer this question but he does suggest taking some first steps together to make the earth a better place. This seems to be a mature and courageous step.

Wilson doesn't state exactly how he intends to work with his reader to better the world by having science and the Christian religion work in collaboration he simply makes the request that they forget the differences that they have had for decades and unite for the goal that they both hope to see archived: the world changed for the better, saving all who live upon it. Wilson makes this request not only validly but also respectfully. He doesn't appear to be accusing this pastor or any one with religious beliefs of causing the split between religion and science. He is simply stating that there is a rift and requesting that the work together to mend that rift so that they can both be more affective.

Although I was not the intended reader of this essay I find it rather compelling. I am a Christian and my religion is very important to me yet I also have an interest in science. Because of my faith I do not agree with the interpretations of evidence that some scientists conclude with and I know of individuals who work in scientific fields who hold strongly to their beliefs. This may tamper with the way that they interpret evidence however an atheists could just as easily have his lack of belief in a god tamper with the conclusions he makes about evidence found. This should indicate that there is no reason for Christians not to be scientists nor for scientists not to be evangelical Christians. My musings go a little father than the proposal by Wilson to the idea that religion and science could become one identity. True there will always be various forms of finding data and processing data yet perhaps there can be unity and advising and support from both fields towards one another. This gives a Utopian like image of scientists and religious pastors working together and saving the world. I don't believe that simply unifying religion and science that the world will automatically become a utopia but it might like Wilson suggests make the world better and this unity may be something to pursue.

Wilson doesn't ignore the fact that there are some fundamental differences in world view between his intended reader and himself he states “Of course, in doing so, [asking for counsel and help]I see no way to avoid the fundamental differences in our worldviews. You are a strict interpreter of Christian Holy Scripture; I am a secular humanist. You believe that each person's soul is immortal...I think heaven and hell are what we create for ourselves on this planet.” This shows an astute awareness that he knows there will still be differences and that he realizes there will be struggles and disagreements in working together. My thoughts on this is that he is more than right in saying this. When any two groups of people come together there will invariably be disagreements and what may be even more difficult to work through misunderstandings and differences in ways of communicating evidence.

I thought it was very insightful and tactful the way that Wilson suggested that these differences do indeed exist and cannot be changed however they can be worked around to accomplish a common goal. If Wilson were saying that these differences are not important then I would have to disagree with that. However he is simply suggesting that in some areas Christians and scientists work together. I believe that this working together may result in some form of change or enlightenment if you will. It could be called conversion. Since I believe in a real heaven and a real hell it would be doing any one I come in contact with a disfavor not to warn them and tell them of my conserns for them. It is not my goal to change their lives to be more like mine nor to make their point any less valid or to raise myself as one who has all of the answers. It is just that as we exchange ideas we will expose both the things that we agree upon and those that we disagree. I think that Wilson would agree with this where he admits “You may be wrong; I may be wrong. We both may be partly right.” He also suggests however that when it comes to working together we should forget our differences and see what we agree on. He as the scientist and the pastor are as he says “both humanists in the broadest sense: human wefare is at the center of our thought. So forget our disagreement, I say, and let us meet on common ground.” This seems a bold yet freeing suggestion that I think could result in great good.

I believe it is important for both those in the secular world and those from the religious world to not get so caught up in their own worldviews that they cannot see the views of the other. For example I as a Christian do not believe that I should never pay attention to what a secular scientist says. He may have some very truthful points that I can glean insight from. I should make a point of understanding people around me who have different religious views whether they be atheist, Muslim, Mormon or so forth. It seems just as likely though that any one else from any other worldview should be open minded to the possibility of the truth of the Bible and teaching of the Christian church.

As a reader of this essay I feel inspired to work alongside people who have different view points and make an effort to appreciate our differences and strive off of our likenesses so that we can weave our ideas together and make a stronger force for our common goals. Although I will still make an effort to tell others about what I believe and show them the truth found in that. However I also want to work together in the areas that we can and perhaps we will both become stronger in our goals.

1 comment:

Isaacme said...

I just realized that one of the quotes you have on your sidebar is by John Burrows. That's kind of funny that we know one of those.

My Blog List