Saturday, September 1, 2007

Submission Versus Obedience

Awhile ago I promised to do a series on obedience/submission. This may not have any great spiritual advice but here are some thoughts.

Something about those two words ("submit" and "obey") that has been on my mind for a long time is how they are used interchangeably and yet somewhat different in meaning.According to Merriam Webster Dictionary

-Submit means to 1) commit to the discretion or decision of another or of others, 2) yield, surrender.

-Obey means to follow the commands or guidance of...to comply with.

Essentially to obey is an action and to submit is a heart attitude. To obey I have to do as I'm told. To submit I have to put myself under another's authority. I must want to obey them. This may involve an emotional struggle while obeying is mainly labor involved in the command that is being obeyed. Submission calls for a control of the emotions not just a control of physical actions. In fact, submission might not be in the form of a physical action at all, but rather the attitude of being under authority.

Furthermore, to obey implies a one time action while submission implies a lifestyle. For example you obey a command, while you submit to a person (as an ongoing thing).

We use these words interchangeably because not only are they similar in meaning but they are commanded to us by God for the same reason-to bring order in the family, the church, the workplace, and the government.

9 comments:

Isaacme said...

Good thoughts there sis. I can't wait to hear the rest of the series. It's so easy to just do actions without having our heart in it. Good post.

Janel said...

Thanks bro, maybe I'll have to give me some advice about what part I should write about next.:)

Elisabeth said...

Thank you for sharing these thoughts.

Katie said...

This is an excellent post. I really appreciate your thoughts on this topic.

Janel said...

Thank you for your encouragement Katie, hopefully my ideas will be Biblical and helpful for others.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I`m soooo glad you found me here. How are you?
When are you coming to visit?
It`s amazing the way that God is using you.
Please let`s stay in touch.
I love ya,
Ale.

Janel said...

Ale, it is soooo good to hear from you again. It sounds like God is using you in really neat ways too. It sounds like He is maturing you and growing you a lot. That is so awesome. I don't know yet when I'm coming to visit. There are other missions that I would like to do too, but I don't know when my next trip will be. I'll try to email you. I'd love to get an email from you too. I miss you girl.

Janel said...

I just realized that I have some typos in that post and it is bugging me...but I think that if I change it it will erase all your lovely comments.

sgreenjeans said...

Wow!! This is really helpful. Thank you!!

My Blog List