Friday, August 17, 2007

Knowing How to Obey

Not long ago I started thinking about my relationship with my parents. I grew up being taught to obey my parents, but as I thought about it I couldn't remember the last time that I had really obeyed them. This wasn't because of my rebellious nature or because I am not close to them, but rather because it had been so long since they had given me a command. Having lived with them for over twenty years I have learned how to please them and continually strive to do so even before they tell me what they want. I obey and serve them out of love rather than because I am told to.

As I thought about how my relationship with them had changed as I matured the Lord asked me some questions. “Why isn't your relationship with Me like that?” “Why do you wonder what you should do with your life?” “Why don't you know the Word I have given you well enough to anticipate my directions?” I had no answer for these. I know my parents well enough to follow their will without verbal direction, yet do I know the God of the universe well enough to follow Him? Have I taken the time to notice the commands He has given? Have I practiced His commands frequently enough that I know which direction He would want me to go with my life? This doesn't mean that I will ever just know His will without taking time to pray and seek His favor. However, the hours I spend worrying over what He wants me to do, or talking about how I want to know the Lord's will in my life are in vain. He has given His pattern for us to follow and learn how to do His will. We need to practice obeying the commands He has already given, being faithful in the small things, then He will give us larger things and His specific will, will be more clear for us.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I've been waiting for this post for a long time. :) Excellent! "Walking in obedience..."

Janel said...

Actually it isn't quite done. Once I started writing, I realized that I had enough that I wanted to make it into about three different posts. So maybe I'll make it a series.

sgreenjeans said...

Janel!! This is amazing!!! I've these exact thoughts!! I'm so glad you posted this. A series sounds nice. I needed this encouragement tonight. :D
THANK YOU!

Isaacme said...

GREAT POST!

My Blog List