Thursday, August 9, 2007

Birds and Peaches

One of my favorite parts of spring and summer is listening to the birds singing as I wake up in the morning. A few days ago, a baby barn swallow made it's way into our home. It had fallen out of it's mothers nest in our barn onto the floor and was left. Now it is in a box with a lamp above to keep it warm and water and worms close by for my brother to stick down it's tiny throat. It is still unknown what will become of our feathered friend when it gets older, but for now it has been given a chance to live a quiet cozy life.

Another one of my favorite parts of summer is all the fresh fruits and vegetables. My father and brothers brought back boxes of peaches and some nectarines for our family from eastern Washington. Now we have been freezing peaches, baking with peaches, and just plain eating peaches. It is amazing to me how yummy they can be. We have also been harvesting a number of veggies from the garden. Green beans, snow peas, lettuce, potatoes etc.

Through both having a baby bird in the house and through taking note of all the color and tastes of summer fruit I have just been amazing at how much God has made just for our pleasure. He is so good and so amazing. His power is constantly displayed in His creation.

4 comments:

Balvanz said...

Yes, just think how boring life might be without God's amazing handiwork!

Katie said...

I didn't know about the baby bird; you will have to keep me updated on its progress. :) It sounds like fun. I bet C. is lovin' it!!

Janel said...

He did. The bird did eventually die but it was a lot more comforting than just letting it die and not doing any thing.

Elisabeth said...

Aww ... I'm sorry to hear that the baby bird died, but at least you helped it first. Sometimes my family and I have to rescue baby birds, butthey don't usually survive. It's sad! :-< Anyway ... what I meant to say was, I love being woken up by the birds too! :-> Their songs are so beautiful and cheerful!

My Blog List