Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Puritans Prayer

O God, the Author of all good,
I come to thee for the grace that another day will require for its duties and events.
I step out into a wicked world,
I carry about with me an evil heart,
I know that without thee I can do noting,
that everything with which I shall be concerned, however harmless in itself, may prove an occasion of sin or folly, unless I am kept by thy power.
Hold thou me up and I shall be safe.
Preserve my understanding from subtlety of error,
my affections from love of idols,
my character from stain of vice,
my profession from every form of evil.
-Arther Bennett The Valley of Vision:A Collection of Puritan Prayer and Devotions

9 comments:

Isaacme said...

Thanks for the poem sis. Those can be really encouraging.

Katie said...

I liked that. I think it is very beautiful!

Balvanz said...

That Puritan Prayer book is really good...I have read several prayers from it and they are so convicting and encouraging!

Janel said...

Yes they are. I don't have the book but I have seen places where it was quoted several times.

Are you guys still haveing problems with loging in on beta or is it workign okay now?

Kristi said...

Well I've been gone a week and feels like months, I miss ya and I really want you to come visit me. We'll go surfing okay?

Balvanz said...

There aren't problems anymore, Janel, 'cause Blogger is out of Beta now. I updated my blog to be the new one too...it is so nice!!

Unknown said...

A good prayer to remember over here in Okinawa and the Marine Corp.

Been gone months, and it does feel like months. Oh well, I shall return eventually.

Janel said...

I miss you too Kimi! We should go surfing I love body surfing so I think I would like surfing with a board too. I might just have fun falling off though.:) Do you have a surfing beach?

Yeah Jeremy, you have been gone for a really long time. How are things going over there? How are you doing? What have you been up to?

Oh, that's right Abbie. I think I remember seeing that message. I haven't been checking out blogs a lot lately.

Unknown said...

Things are going... better. Just finished with a slow holiday season, starting to launch into a very busy time here. Mostly a bunch of practice ops, the highlight being a probable month-long trip to South Korea (in a couple months), and this week I am going on a three-day tour of Iwo-Jima. Lots of other small things going on between, but it would take a bit of time to recount.

Y'all have a great day!

My Blog List