Monday, January 29, 2007

Missions Fest

Oh, to be able to sum up this last weekend. No, I don't believe it can be done. It was amazing! So many stories- being held hostage in the jungle, being shot at but having God's protection, the modern church of the west, all that is going on in China!

For those who don't know I spent this last weekend (Saturday and Sunday) in Vancouver BC at a missions festival with two of my dear friends. We each felt very encouraged and challenged to be more involved with missions as well as praying for missions and the persecuted church. There were several seminars that we attended. My favorite seminar was on guarding our hearts and keeping a fresh focus on missions. It was amazing. The Scottish Evangelist that shared had some really neat stories how, not only he, but many people were ministering and leading others to faith. He shared and reminded us about how in need our world is of a Savior. There really wasn't any thing new as far as information goes but it was all presented in a very fresh way. I was greatly encouraged and refreshed. Not only refreshed but challenged and convicted. I left the seminar with tears running down my face. The tears were those of conviction at all that needed to be done for a hurting and dieing world and how little I was doing or even caring.

Another very touching seminar was that told by Gracia Burnham who spent a year as a hostage in the jungles of the Philippines. Her life was extremely difficult through all of that time and near the end of their captivity her husband was killed. She now writes books and teaches seminars about her experience.

One of the most overwhelming parts about the whole weekend was the exhibits. Many, many organizations showing the ministries that they offer. I came home with piles of pamphlets and magazines. It will take me days to go through them all, but I don't mind because this is one of my God given passions.

Not only was the missions fest itself exhilarating but I also had the opportunity to re-acquittance myself with old friends. It had been many months since I last saw the two young ladies that I went with. There was much sharing about what the Lord has been teaching us and showing us but also much giggling and chattering. Oh, the inside jokes that were brought up - some things never change. The one thing that there was very little of was sleeping. Now I am very tired but happy and content.

God is so good.

4 comments:

Janel said...

I finally got the links for my friends blogs. Now I just need to get the links for some of my favorite websites.

Janel said...

Have any of you been to a missions fest? If you are interested in a specific missions program I probably have information about it somewhere in my pile of literature . :)

Katie said...

It was great to read about the missions fest. ;)

I like your links too.

Save me anything on Wycliff Bible Translators and anything else you think I might find interesting. =) I'll look at them when I come visit.

Janel said...

Okay, when are you coming to visit any way. I want to see you some time soon!

My Blog List