Wednesday, December 13, 2006

St. Lucia

In my family the Christmas season really begins the day after Thanksgiving. Often we get a tree that day or the next and then some time on that weekend get out all of the Christmas ornaments and CDs and old time Christmas tapes. It is then the time to have hot chocolate and apple cider and listen to Christmas music while going about household duties or simply dancing around in the living room. It is the time of year to begin the Christmas baking and to fill the house with the delicious aromas of sugar cookies, chocolate fudge, pink mint pie, and peanut brittle. The Christmas traditions are numerous in my family, and range over a wide variety of ethnics. From Guatemala to Germany, from Holland to Sweden.

One of my favorites is the Swedish tradition of St. Lucia. On December 13th the eldest daughter of the family wakes very early and prepares a special breakfast for her family and then serves breakfast to her parents in their bedroom. The tradition is in memory of a young woman who brought food to Christians who were in hiding at a time and place when Christians were persecuted for their faith. She would come at night so that she would not be found out with her arms loaded with food and a wreath of candles in her hair. That is part of the tradition too-is for the girl to have candles in her hair-I choose to skip that part, I find that my head is useful at times and don't want to lose it. (yes I realize that some would say I have already lost it, but that brings me little comfort when considering the prospect of my hair all going up in flames.)Due to the very busy work schedule of several members of my family, this St. Lucia day may be a bit different than in other years but none the less it certainly deserves at least a little fanfare.

3 comments:

Balvanz said...

Hi Janel! I've been trying to comment on your blog but for some reason it hasn't let me sign in until today.

Balvanz said...

So anyway, I love that Christmas tradition!! We have some fun ones too, like having a special, snacky meal when we put up our Christmas tree. We always watch "A Christmas Carol" and several other holiday movies during December, and we usually read through an advent book, like "Jotham's Journey."

Janel said...

Those are neat traditions. We do those sometimes but not always every year. I really enjoyed "Jotham's Journey" when we read that.

My Blog List