Saturday, December 2, 2006

The Little Things

I long to accomplish a great and noble task;but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.
-Helen Keller

A Smile As Small As Mine
They might not need me; but they might.
I'll let my head be just in sight;
A smile as small as mine might be
Precisely their necessity.
-Emily Dickinson

A Little Place
“Where shall I work today dear Lord
And my love flowed warm and free.
He answered and said, “see that little place?
Tend that place for Me.”

I answered and said “Oh no, not there:
No one would ever see.
No matter how well my work was done,
Not that place for me!

His voice, when He spoke, was soft and kind,
He answered me tenderly.
“Little one, search that heart of thine.
Are you working for them or Me?
Nazareth was a little place.
So was Galilee.
-Author Unknown (to me)

His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave; you were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things, enter into the joy of your master.'
Mathew 25:21

There are many times when I feel like there is nothing great happening in my life. These words above give me great comfort by showing me that the important thing in life is obedience not greatness. I can be as unobserved in life as a hermit in a cave and yet if I am obeying my Lord that is all that really matters. I can be the most humble of creatures on the face of the earth and yet because of Who I follow there is great reward for me some day.

4 comments:

Balvanz said...

Nice quotes!! :)

Katie said...

Oooh, I was reading one of my old journals this afternoon and I read a quote I'd copied in there...something like, "It doesn't always fall in one's way to do great things, but it is always in your way to do small things excellently."

I really liked it...in a way it was encouraging because I think sometimes I feel like giving up because there are "only" small things to do...

Rebekah said...

Amen. I find myself far too often in "need" of recognition and praise for my work. As I recently read on Kimi's blog:

"Character is what you are in the dark."

Janel said...

Oh Katie I love that quote. Recently I read an article written by a young mother about how she used to dream of becoming a missionary and speaking before hundreds of women and leading them to Christ, but then God had something even bigger planner for her which was to be a mommy at home. Sometimes the things that we normally think of a big are really much smaller in importance to where God actually has placed us.

Thank you also, Rebeka, for that quote. Enjoy finals. :)

My Blog List